I waited in eager anticipation for my order from the Tailor Made Shop to arrive which included the Orange Lingerie Marborough bra kit. I order as soon as Ying posts new kits on Instagram as they seem to get snapped up in minutes. I have been so busy so had to wait until weekend to start making. Good job it was cold and wet all weekend!
There wasn't a bra and underwear kit available but from previous experience there is always enough to make something to match the bra. I was not disappointed! Plenty of the charmeuse and probably enough lace. I had also ordered a pink findings kit, blush stretch mesh, wires and various other bits.
As I wanted to make a matching set I decided not to use the peach findings and powernet that came with the kit and used blush from my stash. Then I had to decide what underwear patterns I could get out of the fabric I had. The first issue was that the charmeuse is a woven and most of my patterns call for stretch. Then I didn't have a huge amount of lace. So I got out my lace patterns. I went for the Ohhlulu's Claudia as I could just scrape out my size and I had enough fabric to cut the front panel on the bias. As I had just bought the blush stretch mesh I thought I would make up the Montgomery Brief which is designed to match the Marborough Bra pattern.
I have made all three before and had the pattern pieces ready. The bra went together beautifully but I was not too fond of the charmeuse as it does fray quickly. The construction process allows you to enclose all seams between the fabric and the non-stretch lining. Before topstitching each seam I did have to tidy up the fabric in the seam allowance. I also line the lace as well as attaching narrow elastic as it gives much better support. Although the hook and eye should fit I always check before attaching the strap. I had to shave a little off the back band. When making and attaching the strap I switch to my walking foot. I also use a water soluble glue stick to keep the strap in place whilst I sew. This way I always get perfectly aligned straps. I had to cut down my wires which I then re seal with some plastic tubing and use a heat gun to shrink wrap around the end. A bit of fray check on the wire casing and I was done.
The Montgomery brief is such a quick and satisfying make. The pattern is for a lace front panel. Although online shows a picture with a fabric front details are not included in the pattern but there is great blog on how to make the adjustment.. As my plush elastic colour wasn't just right for me I used some blush FOE instead of using the plush along the whole of the waist.
Then onto the Claudia Panties. Another great fitting pattern for me and lots of options. I had to squeeze the lace panels out so couldn't match up but you don't really notice because of the design. I chose some pretty decorative elastic for the leg line in white which I thought would look better against the white gusset lining than the multi colour fabric. Also, although I do have a cover stitch machine, I was worried about the fabric fraying on such a narrow seam. The blush FOE was perfect to finish. The best ever advice from Norma, Orange Lingerie, is to steam you garment when finished as this relaxes the elastic after the sewing process. It makes a huge difference.
Thought I would finish with a picture of the back of the briefs and the inside of the bra. Just so pretty!