So with the lingerie and swimwear done I just had to finish off with some summer top makes. Busy with work, time was running out, so I settled with using up the linen from the Lander Shorts and making some True Bias Ogden Camis. I bought both patterns together after following Lauren Guthrie's Summer Wardrobe blogs.
I had to find a pattern that required under a metre of this beautiful Sorona linen. I mostly buy PDF patterns but I subscribe to Sew magazine and you get one or two patterns free each month. So I found this great little New Look K6459 pattern which for me is cropped and is cut in at the armhole. I thought it was going to be a little plain so I was looking for a design to fit into the corner. Then this pretty dandelion breeze design from Urban Threads popped up on Instagram. Perfect.
This got me to some designs I had bought earlier in the year to put on t-shirts. It is really hard to find reasonably priced good quality t-shirts but then I had some vouchers from Marks and Spencer to use.
The cute dogs are my favourite. A design called Waggin Good Time. The kitten design is from a pack called Punimals. Both from Urban Threads. I also have a Christmas edition I have used for Christmas cards. I also wanted to get a bit of practice in with iron vinyl using my cricut maker and easy press. No time to buy any more colours I had to go with the few colours I had. Scouring the internet I came across Lovesvg.com for the two free designs.
I just love the fun embroidery designs. You have to be careful not to use too heavy a design on jersey but this worked like a dream. I use a sticky stabilizer as I find this is the only way to stop the jersey moving whilst sewing. Then I always back with Dream Weave as this is supersoft against the skin. I also have a cat version with sunglasses but thought may be a bit heavy.
The iron on vinyl is still very new to me. I have tried a small number of vinyls but really like the Xpres Ultra Cut which I buy by the metre. You have to remember to mirror your image! Glad I bought the weeding tools to pick out all the negative space.
Then finally I got to make the very popular Ogden Cami. When I was down in Birmingham for the Festival of Quilts I made a detour to Guthrie and Ghani and picked up some beautifully soft Art Gallery rayon.
I made a muslin first which seemed to fit pretty well. I checked the fit of the strap although you can adjust right at the end. Then I made the cotton lawn version. Very pretty. Then for the silky soft Art Gallery fabric. A bit slippery and frays quickly but how well does this drape. The cotton lawn I had overlocked each side of the seams separately but for this I had finished in one for stability. I also used a rolled hem. Only ever done one other but because the colour match is good is looks fabulous. I also just overlocked the hem on the facing so as not to add any bulk. Not bad for a mornings work. A very satisfying quick make.
Then my finishing touch. The pattern suggested marking the back as pretty similar to the front. So embroidered my logo on the back facing.