Summer Wardrobe Done

So with the lingerie and swimwear done I just had to finish off with some summer top makes. Busy with work, time was running out, so I settled with using up the linen from the Lander Shorts and making some True Bias Ogden Camis.  I bought both patterns together after following Lauren Guthrie's Summer Wardrobe blogs.  

IMG_1110 (002).jpg

I had to find a pattern that required under a metre of this beautiful Sorona linen.  I mostly buy PDF patterns but I subscribe to Sew magazine and you get one or two patterns free each month.  So I found this great little New Look K6459 pattern which for me is cropped and is cut in at the armhole.  I thought it was going to be a little plain so I was looking for a design to fit into the corner.  Then this pretty dandelion breeze design from Urban Threads popped up on Instagram.  Perfect.

This got me to some designs I had bought earlier in the year to put on t-shirts.  It is really hard to find reasonably priced good quality t-shirts but then I had some vouchers from Marks and Spencer to use.

1533486246708.JPEG

The cute dogs are my favourite.  A design called Waggin Good Time.  The kitten design is from a pack called Punimals.  Both from Urban Threads.  I also have a Christmas edition I have used for Christmas cards.  I also wanted to get a bit of practice in with iron vinyl using my cricut maker and easy press.  No time to buy any more colours I had to go with the few colours I had.  Scouring the internet I came across Lovesvg.com for the two free designs.

I just love the fun embroidery designs.  You have to be careful not to use too heavy a design on jersey but this worked like a dream.  I use a sticky stabilizer as I find this is the only way to stop the jersey moving whilst sewing.  Then I always back with Dream Weave as this is supersoft against the skin.  I also have a cat version with sunglasses but thought may be a bit heavy.  

The iron on vinyl is still very new to me.  I have tried a small number of vinyls but really like the Xpres Ultra Cut which I buy by the metre.  You have to remember to mirror your image!  Glad I bought the weeding tools to pick out all the negative space.  

Then finally I got to make the very popular Ogden Cami.  When I was down in Birmingham for the Festival of Quilts I made a detour to Guthrie and Ghani and picked up some beautifully soft Art Gallery rayon.

1534755578961.JPEG

I made a muslin first which seemed to fit pretty well.  I checked the fit of the strap although you can adjust right at the end.  Then I made the cotton lawn version.  Very pretty.  Then for the silky soft Art Gallery fabric.  A bit slippery and frays quickly but how well does this drape.   The cotton lawn I had overlocked each side of the seams separately but for this I had finished in one for stability.  I also used a rolled hem.  Only ever done one other but because the colour match is good is looks fabulous.  I also just overlocked the hem on the facing so as not to add any bulk.   Not bad for a mornings work.  A very satisfying quick make.

 

IMG_1201 (1).jpg
IMG_1212 (1).jpg

Then my finishing touch.  The pattern suggested marking the back as pretty similar to the front.  So embroidered my logo on the back facing. 

Evie La Luve Inspiration and Art Gallery Fabric

Untitled-TurboCollage-Exported-Imageag.jpg

I saw this Art Gallery fabric (Pandalicious Yinghua Cherrylight) in one of Hannah's tutorials and decided I must have some.  I found it on an a number of websites but used Minerva Crafts as I get a 10% discount on all purchases as a member of their Craft Club.  

As the Esme pattern is my go to pattern I made this version first.  The fit is fabulous and the cross over lace looks gorgeous whatever you make it in.  Just as I bought the fabric Hannah launched her Frankie pattern so the other two in the Art Gallery fabric are versions 1 and 3.  The Frankie's are a mid rise fit perfect for every day wear.  There are over 40 combinations  using variations of wide stretch lace, narrow stretch lace, fabric and elastics and all with beautiful colour instructions it really is a must have pattern.  I have since made a lace overlay version but have yet to make the dip and strap back version, although I have bought the rose gold findings for when I find the right fabric.  

The bra is my own design using foam cups from BWear based on a technique I picked up from Beverly Johnson's Craftsy Class - Sewing Bras: Foam, Lace & Beyond.  You place a piece of the fabric on the cup and work it around the perimeter so it is smooth and without puckers or creases.  If I am using FOE for the front edge I then zigzag all around from the inside and cut back the fabric to the cup.   The fabric is really stretchy so I lined the frame and bridge with sheer nylon.  For extra support and to enclose the seams I lined the back band with a microfibre tricot stretch fabric which is really soft against the skin.  

IMG_0745.jpg

As I have seen so many good reviews I thought I would also try the Watson bra from Cloth Habit.  The instructions are so good with an explanation of stretch fabrics and guidance as to the stitch length and width to use.  I used a tricot lining for the cradle and lined the cups and band with what I consider a light powernet.  The size guide was pretty accurate for me but next time I make this bra I would probably make the longline version for that extra bit of support. 

To complete the set I used the rest of the mint lace to make the free pattern from So Sew Easy.  There is more of the Art Gallery fabric but that is for another day!