Sewing Round Up

Been rather busy with actual work so not much on the sewing front.  A colleague had a baby so I got to try out Blank Slate Patterns Snuggle PJs.   A good size range from 3m to 12y.  The organic cotton panda fabric is perfect.  I didn't have to make any binding as I had the black jersey bias the right width and weight of fabric.  The bottoms are quilting cotton I chose as it had just a hint of pink.  

IMG_1096.jpg

The new baby also meant I got to try out embroidering a plushie.  Not as easy as they make it look.  This is a Mumbles zippy.  There is a zip at the back so although you can take out the body pod there is still a big head to manoeuvre around.  I did try to get hold of an Embroidery Buddy as you can also take out the head pod but can't find anyone in the UK who sells small numbers.  I did have a birth announcement  template to use but just too much to get in so kept it simple.  I added the pink gingham bow for balance.

1517396207530 (002).jpeg

                                                                                     

 

Although a huge stack of planned projects I am always sidetracked.  This time it was the Josie Tunic, a download pattern, in Sew magazine featuring some lovely heavy rose pink and grey Ponte Roma knit from Minerva Crafts.  So I rounded up on the metres as I like to make mini items with leftovers.  It took about 1.8m when the requirements said 1.4!  The next issue was the size to make.  The pattern included 8-20 but no indication anywhere in the magazine or online what that meant or finished sizes.  So I went with the size of pattern I always start with not my RTW.  I made the mistake of thinking it was a quick  make so just go with it.  It was huge.  I shaped the sleeves into the wrist as well as at the waist and took a large amount off the hips.  As the back skirt seam was on a curve for shape it no longer met the front skirt seam.  It also meant the pockets were close to the side seams.  Still it is very comfy and I wore it the very next day.

1517848060900 (002).jpeg

 

I also had another quick make with Helen's Closet Blackwood Cardigan. For this one I used fabric sold by the weight fabric from Abakhan.  It feels and smells like wool when wet but you you can never tell what you have bought from the receipt!  I just love this pattern for me being the 5ft 6" most patterns are drafted and with long arms.  Designed with layering in mind, it has minimal excess fabric in the front and a close fit around the neck and shoulders.   I made View A which extends down to the mid-thigh and includes patch pockets at hand level while view B ends at the hips.  Based on my measurements I made a medium and yes it fit how it should.  The sleeves are long but the cuff size means they sit just where they are meant to.  

1517073117094 (002).jpeg

       

 

Urban threads had this Kitty Specs design on sale and it was another I just have to make project.  It was meant to be as I decided to clear my desk of all those things that I didn't want to file in case I forgot I had bought them and there were these Lecien Jelly pink handles from Sew Hot.   There was even a pattern with the handles.  No problem finding suitable fabric in the stash.  The premium vinyl is also from Sew Hot.  It iis worth getting the premium vinyl as it is both strong and supple making it so much easier to work with.  Not sure it will ever get used but makes me smile!

Sewing round up

Been busy so not much sewing done but so much planned.  Finally got all my supplies ready to make the Vogue dress pattern.

IMG_1032.jpg

Then all the plans went through the window when all the Black Friday offers came along.  Helen's closet, Closet Case, Brindille & Twig and Street Style patterns all had offers as well as my favourite organic cotton supplier Jelly Fabrics.  I stocked up on rib fabrics in all my favourite colours.  Then the pile just grew when  I visited Guthrie & Ghani whilst on a trip to Birmingham for the National Model Railway exhibition.  So now I have all this to do and not enough time in the day.

Where to start!  The only way to go was a major tidy up of sewing headquarters and start/finish the projects lying on the floor.  This was reinforced by the fact I was too embarrassed to take a picture of the room for Bpsewember.  I started with the T Shirts for my niece which had been hung on the door since summer.  I moved on to the cushion to be made from the applique ballerina made last year and finished with the advent calendars and Christmas napkins. 

The decision was to make the Kelly Anorak first as I didn't want to leave the waxed cotton folded up in case it marked.